stat counnnter

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Giving Thanks For Earth's Gravity

Just two days before Thanksgiving, I want to give thanks to the fact that I live on Earth and not Jupiter. You see Jupiter is 318 times more massive than Earth and I think the gravity ratio would be about the same. That means that since I am about 30 lbs overweight on Earth, (I'm working on that) I would be 9,540 lbs overweight on Jupiter. Now that would require one helluva diet and excercise plan! No thank you!

(On the other hand, if I went to the moon, which has only 1/6 of the Earth's gravity, my 208 lbs would reduce to only about 35 lbs and mother nature would owe me some pounds. Seconds anyone?)

4 comments:

Galileo Blogs said...

Does that mean that the only place to truly enjoy a Thanksgiving dinner is on the moon?

Anonymous said...

No, Jupiter has a diameter large enough and a density low enough that its gravity, if you could stand on it, would be only 2.2 times that of Earth.

But Jupiter is thought not to have a surface. It's just a gas that gets denser and denser... so you would fall in.

Michael Neibel said...

Anon: At 2.2 times the gravity of Earth, I would be only 66 lbs overweight on Jupiter. Nah, I'll stick to Earth. Thanks for clearing that up though, and Happy Thanksgiving.

Michael Neibel said...

galileo:
"Does that mean that the only place to truly enjoy a Thanksgiving dinner is on the moon?"
Well, you wouldn't have to worry about going on a diet next day.

But I was thinking about a special Thanksgivng table with high-chair like chairs that were attached to a track around the table and when everyone loaded up their plates the chairs would move around the table and the centrifugal force would counteract gravity and...oh never mind. Just a thought.